≡ Menu

Step by step guide of e-filing income tax return

Share on FacebookShareTweet on TwitterTweet

31The income Tax department –Govt of India has introduced online submission  of Income tax returns called e-filing which facilitates  fast processing of income tax returns and refunds.  A simple application based on MS excel makes the ITR form filling easy. Here go through the steps  to fill your income tax returns.

Go to this link https://incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in/portal/selectforms.do and understand the appropriate form.

Download the appropriate return preparation software and help guide to fill the form.  It is an MS excel application .https://incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in/portal/downloads.do

Open the downloaded Excel file and fill the required details. Remember you must enable the Macro and Active X contents in MS Excell. In Excel 2007 you will get an info bar to enable the same.  Take adequate care to fill PAN, date of birth, Gender, Status, Residential status, Address, bank account number etc. For example to fill ITR-1 you need the following:

  • Form 16 – Giving details of Salary Income and Tax Deducted at Source (TDS) from Employer
  • Rental Income details (along with Form 16A in case any Tax has been deducted) and Statement of Interest paid on Housing loan from Bank
  • Interest of FD, Savings Bank etc details (along with Form 16A in case any Tax has been deducted)
  • Life insurance / health insurance premium, donation receipts
  • Tax payment challans and TDS certificates

After filling the complete details save the file and press the “validate” button in the excel sheet. Correct the errors if any and  click “Generate XML ”  button. The xml file is generated and saved by default in the same directory or location where the Excel file is saved.

Go to  https://incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in/portal/login.do and login with your user id and password.  If you have not registered register with your PAN. Your PAN will be the user id. A valid e mail id is also mandatory.

After logged in, select the form Type and AY 2010-11 from the drop down menu under the submit return section. Upload your XML file (generated in the previous step). Select the “ No “button for  “Do you want to digitally sign the file?”  . If you have class –II digital certificate, select the “Yes” option  (Digital signature certificates (DSC) are the digital equivalent that  is electronic format of physical or paper certificates)  . Now you will get a “success screen” and a link to download ITR V form (Income Tax Verification). A copy of the same will be mailed to your email id also.
In the case of  digitally signed return, the return filling process is completed and only to retain the acknowledgment for  your reference.

Note : ITR V is a pdf file and password protected. The password will be your PAN number in small letters plus date of birth in ddmmyyyy format without spaces

Take  print  of  ITR V in an A4 size paper  in two copies (Inkjet or Laser print with Black ink only) . One copy of ITR V, duly signed by the taxpayer, has to be sent by ordinary post to Income Tax Department – CPC, Post Bag No. 1, Electronic City Post Office, Bangaluru–560100 (Karnataka) immediately. The other copy may be retained by the assessee for his record. The form must reach the destination within 120 days after the date of transmitting the data electronically.

Important:   ITR-V sent by Registered Post or Courier will not be accepted. The signature in ITR V must be in BLUE ink.

See the flow chart of complete process

Call center at CPC provides information and updates on the following:

  1. Status of receipt of ITR-V at CPC
  2. Processing status of e-filed returns
  3. Refund issues
  4. Any other information related to processing of returns at CPC

This service is available on working days and call are answered in English,Hindi,Kannada on the following telephone numbers ;

Toll free: 1800-425-2229
Direct: 080-22546500

service available in English,Hindi,Kannada languages

Click here for the interactive video Demo of  E filing

Last date of efiling has been extended up to 31  Jul 11

Get the latest updates delivered to your inbox

34 comments… add one
  • nice interactive way to talk about IT filing.

    I was working till May and have resigned the job to join my higher studies. I haven’t filled my IT returns yet. Is there any fine being laid for late submission??

      If a return is submitted after the due date, the following
      consequences will be applicable:
      1. The assessee will be liable for penal interest under section 234
      2. A penalty of Rs 5,000 may be imposed under section 271 F if
      belated return is submitted after the end of the assessment year.
      3. If the return of loss is submitted after the due date, a few losses
      cannot be carried forward.
      4. If the return is submitted belated, deductions allowable under
      certain sections will not be available.
      Section 234 says simple interest of 1% for every month or part from the due date
      Penalty of Rs. 5000 is imposable for non-filing of return within
      the assessment year. Interest is also chargeable for non-filing or late

  • murthyivs

    sir i am new user i can e-filing. i can register my pan. Its appeared contact it administrator. whats the problem ? i try many times. but its appear same words.

  • Thank you, Sujit. Helpful.

  • shekar gowda

    Sir, I Want to lern ITR E filing kindly teach me about this

  • shantanu

    In case of e-filing, how do I submit, proof of donations (donation receipt) ?
    Should photo copy of it, be mailed to IT authority alongwith signed ITR-V?

    • You are coming under which category? No forms or reciepts to be mailed along with ITR V

  • shantanu

    I’m salaried person. So I guess ITR-1 applicable to me.
    I’ve form 16 from the employer.
    But the donation amount is not mention in it.

  • abhijit

    i m having windows 2007 in my laptop, facing problem to enable macro. please help

  • avinash

    If i have a housing loan, which ITR form i need to fill? Is it ITR1 or ITR2? can you let me know.

    • If you are a salaried / pensioned person and a housing loan fill ITR 2.

      • avinash

        yes.. i am a salaried person with a housing loan. thank you for the confirmation..

  • Aalok

    I want to know whether gross salary in the form will be after deducting Loan amount and entertainment tax or is their any section in which we can put loan amount.

    • Check your Form 16, it’s clearly specified there.

  • Aalok

    In Form-16 its given as follow:

    Gross salary: 000000

    Home Loan Interest: 000
    Entertainment Tax|Emp Tax etc 0
    Net salary: 00

    My question is:
    Should I put Gross salary 000000 in Sahaj form and then put Home Loan Interest and other deduction except 80C or
    I should enter Net salary 00 given in form-16 after deduction.

  • Harish K m

    I have not filed the return for the last two consecutive years , can I do it now along with the current year . Is Form 16 Mandatory for salaried person. pls. clarify.


    I cheked the form26AS and found the TDS statement given to me by my organisation in form16 donot tally with the details given inform26AS.Shall I get the credit of the TDS already deducted .What should I do ,im E filing

  • BB Mohanty

    I cheked the form26AS and found the TDS statement given to me by my organisation in form16 donot tally with the details given inform26AS.Shall I get the credit of the TDS already deducted .What should I do ,im E filing


  • Anil Kumar

    While registering for e-filing, my e-mail address was mis-spelt due to which I am unable to activate my e-filing. Please advise. thanks


  • forms & how to e fill for partners of a partenership company

    forms & how to e fill for partners of a partenership company

  • vineet

    Dear Sir,
    I want to file revised return onlin. I have downloaded the excel file. My PC has MS excel 2007 version. I have done settings for macros and activex as per guidlines of file help.txt. But every time i open a file they ask me to enable macros. due to which every time i fill Part B-TI of ITR-2. They prompt me a message ” The cell or chart you are trying to change is protected and therefore read-only”.
    Kindly help me out.

    Thanks & Regards

  • sandurprasad

    how to calculate deductions from net salary with first slab of 180000

  • pratap keshari naik

    Sir, I am drawing pension from SBI Evening Branch, I.R.C.Village, Bhubaneswar-751015. Whether I need to submit Form-16? If yes, who shall issue me Form-16 for income-tax purpose. thanks. Pratap Keshari Naik.

  • Siddhartha

    My ‘Generate’ (for xml) button is not working on the excel sheet i.e. the return I have filled.
    I use MS Office 2007 and have also enabled the Macros and ActiveX Controls.
    Please help.

  • Uday Purohit

    Sir, I want to learn fill income tax online return…. Please you give me some tricks…

    and i have problem in fill form in Microsoft excel for unprotected password and generate to xml file….

    Please help me…

  • Hasan

    Ican not unloch the 2nd page column,asking password .from where should I get password /

  • Sujeet Singh


    I have same question that shantanu asked above. I have done some donation which is not
    reflected in my Form 16. How to show that amount? Do I have to fill a separate form
    for that?

  • abhi

    have not given tax on my interest income and some tax on salary for the 2011-12. i am depositing the tax as per calculation.
    Should I have to deposit 1% interest / month on the amount?
    if yes, where will it be shown in efilling? which challan to be used for deposit the interest on tax and where will it be shown in tax file?

  • Manish

    Hi there,

    Please allow me bring your attention that my pan no is ATFPK3635D and I took someone’s help to create my account and he also processed my tax filing. Now he is not reachable and I cannot access my account because on resetting password it is sending password to his id and I cannot use other option because I don’t know secret question. I don’t have any idea why it is sending my password to his mail while I got acknowledgement mails from CPC on my mail it means they have my id in their records.

    Please help me out right now I am just feeling very helpless because I cannot create another account because my pan no is already in their records. my email id is [email protected]


  • sangeeta sinha

    Dear sir, please guide, i have a income from other source like FD and income from House rent some one guide you have to fill ITR-1 and some one guide ITR2. i Try offline and fill ITR 1 and foud 100% amount consider of rent as a taxable income but in case of ITR2 approx 60 to 70% of amount is consider as a rent amount. It means ITR2 is benificial for me please guide

  • Pancham

    Although I am NRI but still want to fill Schedule FA(Foreign Assets).

    Cells in Schedule FA turns green(fillable) only when filing status is RESIDENT. Color changes to blue when I change to Non Resident status. When I try to put information in blue cells it asks for a password.

    Please suggest ways to fill Schedule FA while filing return as NRI in ITR2.



Leave a Comment